WHO IS THIS COURSE SUITABLE FOR?
This course is for people working with young children and those working towards an Early Years educator qualification.
WHAT IS THE OBJECTIVE OF THE COURSE?
This two-day paediatric first aid course focuses on emergency scenarios that face those looking after young children and infants, including day nurseries, private nursery schools, pre-schools, before and after school clubs for children in the early years age group, childminders and carers of children at home.
The paediatric first aid course meets the Ofsted Early Years and Childcare Register requirements.
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the paediatric first aider.
- Be able to assess an emergency situation safely.
- Be able to provide first aid for an infant and a child:
- who is unresponsive and breathing normally, including child and infant resuscitation
- who is unresponsive and not breathing normally
- who has a foreign body airway obstruction
- with external bleeding
- with injuries to bones, joints and muscles.
- Understand how to administer emergency first aid to an infant and a child with a chronic medical condition or sudden illness:
- sickle cell crisis
- diabetic emergencies
- asthma attack
- allergic reaction
- febrile convulsions.
- Understand how to administer first aid to an infant and a child:
- who is experiencing the effects of extreme heat and cold
- who has sustained an electric shock
- with burns or scalds
- who has been poisoned
- who has been bitten or stung
- with minor injuries, including cuts, grazes, bumps and bruises, small splinters and nose bleeds
- with conditions affecting the eyes, ears and nose
- with head and spinal injuries
- with anaphylaxis
- who is suffering from shock.
- Understand how to complete records relating to illnesses, injuries and emergencies.
ASSESSMENT AND CERIFICATION
Practical skills are assessed by continuous observation by the trainer and there is a written assessment paper to check understanding. The successful candidate will receive a Ofqual certificate valid for 3 years
Learners need a basic command of English
Whilst we are often able to provide support to people who for example do not have English as a first language, our ability to do so is limited by the time available and the number of people who require assistance, although we may be able to make special arrangements if requested in advance.
Please contact us if you need any guidance.